Chocolate Swirl Pavlovawith Glad to be Green® Compostable Bake Paper
Recipe and styling: Donna Hay
Photography: Chris Court
- 280ml egg whites (about 8 eggs)
- 2¼ cups (500g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- berries, to serve
- marble cream
- 50g dark (70% cocoa) chocolate, chopped
- ¼ cup (60ml) single (pouring) cream
- 300ml double (thick) cream
1. Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F).
2. Place a sheet of non-stick baking paper onto a baking tray+.
3. Place the egg whites and sugar in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir with a spatula for 5 minutes or until sugar has dissolved++.
4. Remove from the heat and transfer mixture to a bowl of an electric mixer. Beat for 8–10 minutes or until thick and glossy.
5. Spoon the meringue mixture onto prepared tray and shape into a tall round. Sift the cocoa over the top of the meringue.
6. Reduce oven temperature to 120°C (250°F) and bake 1 hour 15 minutes or until pavlova is dry to touch. Allow to cool completely in the closed oven.
7. To make the marble cream, place the chocolate and single cream in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until the chocolate has melted and combined. Set aside to cool. Place the double cream in a large bowl and whisk until soft peaks form. Add the chocolate mixture and swirl through the cream.
8. To serve, place the chocolate pavlova on a serving platter and top with marble cream and berries, if desired. Serves 8–10
+ Draw a 20cm circle onto your Glad to be Green® Compostable Bake Paper and invert onto your tray for the perfect circular guide.
++ Rub some of the egg white mixture between your fingertips to ensure all the sugar has dissolved.